Careers Fairs – are they worth it and will they find you your dream employee?
Careers Fairs are an exciting way of meeting with up and coming talent, yet many smaller companies don’t make full use of them. We understand why; they can be expensive, hard work and a pain to organise. However, the benefits are great for smaller businesses.
Here are 5 top tips to make the most of careers fairs.
- Be prepared. What will you need to take with you? Who is the best person to go? Is everyone aware what you want to get out of the event? By being fully prepared you will save yourself a lot of time and problems further down the line. Prepare information on your company (it’s a great idea to make up packs) and you can make sure no candidate slips through the net.
- Be realistic. You’re unlikely to find that one perfect candidate you have been looking for for ages; however, you might find an enthusiastic, intelligent person full of fresh ideas who would be a valuable asset to the company.
- Be approachable. There will be a lot of other companies there so make sure that your stand looks the business. If you have signage, display it with pride! Make sure that your team look presentable and approachable. There is nothing worse than a stand where the people on it are huddled in the corner having a chat; keep your employees motivated. Also, think about having something on your stand to entice people in – something to eat or drink always goes down well!
- Keep an open mind. Don’t disregard a candidate on a preconception or assumption. Although they might not seem right for the company at the time, they might be just what you’re looking for further down the line. Build a list of contacts, and what they do, and keep in touch with them all. Consider setting up a newsletter with prospective jobs and add them to the mailing list.
- Don’t expect the talent to come to you. Get out there and have a wander around; see what everyone else is doing. Get chatting to candidates and direct them to your stall, they are more likely to remember you that way. Have a look at what other businesses are there and get chatting to them – you never know what might come of it!
We regularly keep on top of what career events are happening with the central belt so if you would like to find out more or would like some help at an event, please contact us: email@example.com